“Sometimes, the smallest of decisions can change your life forever.”
Decisions, decisions. Now that you’ve finally made one, to begin your 2 year prep for the corporate world, you must be full of questions, doubts and most of all- eager anticipation! Don’t worry, we all experienced the same thing last year and came to GIM with a lot of dreams, hopes and butterflies in the tummy. Trust in your journey because it may take you places you never thought you would go 🙂
Regarding packing- don’t fret! We have you sorted out with our handy packing list and tips.
- Solid black formal suit for guys & girls (No fancy patterns, please! You can get one stitched by a tailor who would come to college, if you don’t want a hassle)
- Thin Blanket/ 2 Bed-sheets (Goa doesn’t get too chilly and you should be able to manage with two bed-sheets even on the coldest nights!)
- A sweatshirt/hoodie (GIM ones along with other merchandise will be available for purchase shortly after joining!)
- Gals- formal shirts & trousers/ salwar kameej/ kurtas & leggings (We have ‘Formals On’ days regularly during placements and other events during which you’d be required to attend classes in your formal attire)
- Guys- Shirts with tie & trousers (for ‘Formals On’)
- T-shirts & Jeans (a couple of smart casuals which will be your everyday classroom clothes) NOTE: No ripped jeans allowed to class.
- Some beach wear and swim wear (Goa has a lot of pretty beaches and we have a beautiful pool on campus too!)
- 1 pair of plain formal shoes (black) [PS: Girls, the front and back must be closed. Formal flats are allowed too]
- 1 pair of sports shoes
- For the crazy monsoon season (June- September): 1 pair of rain resistant footwear (Please avoid footwear that stinks when soaked in water :D) & a big umbrella (PS: Do NOT get a plain black one because umbrellas tend to get kidnapped a lot when it’s raining heavily :P)
- 1 pair of flip flops
- 1 pair of football shoes [We have a full sized football ground and a whole bunch of football maniacs in college- ‘Prayas’ will take care of your need for sports ;)]
- A pair or two of socks
- Towel (tip: micro fiber towels work just as good and dry up really quickly!)
- Pillow (available on campus in the first week)
- Rain coat/jacket
- Track suit (for all the gym fanatics)
- Inner garments and lots and lots of underwear!
You can get daily necessities and things like umbrellas in the nearby Sanquelim market. Also, campus delivery is available through most of the famous e-commerce websites.
- Laptop & Charger (with a sturdy bag that can be utilized for everyday usage)
NOTE: You’re going to need your laptop almost every single day! Accidental warranty is a bonus as we all know, accidents happen! You will get genuine windows OS with office installed on campus. So you may pick one with a default DOS OS of whatever works for you. Get at least 2 gigs of RAM and a decent HDD be it internal or external. Also make sure your laptop has Wi-Fi connectivity as there are no LAN ports in college.
- Mobile/Charger/Power bank
- Spike Guard
- Mouse (Will help a lot with your PPT’s)
- Earphones/Headphones (Don’t disturb your roomie when you want to watch a movie late at night!)
- Speakers (personal preference)
- Camera (GIM is a beautiful campus and we have a lot of photogenic visitors including a large variety of birds, clouds that make you feel you’re in heaven and even crystal clear rainbows! :D)
Toiletries and miscellaneous
- Shower gel
- Shaving gel
- Dental floss
- Nail cutter
- Hangers to keep your clothes from getting crumpled
- Basic stationery including scissors, tape, stapler (Available at Jaggu’s shop on campus if you forget)
- First aid kit with basic medicines you may need (medicine for minor injury, fever, headache, stomach upset)
NOTE: SAC– our Student Council- has the first aid kit, but it’s mostly injury related medicine. We have a doctor that comes to campus on all weekdays from 5-7 pm. In case of an emergency, we have a primary healthcare center at Sanquelim, hardly 3 km away. For serious cases there are good hospitals in Panjim including GMC. We hope you never have to refer to this post but better safe than sorry! Pack all your medicines systematically and label them clearly. Few months down the line you probably won’t remember what medicine serves what purpose and it’s better to know for sure rather than having Google tell you what to do! 😛
We haven’t mentioned all miscellaneous items for you to bring along since there will be a vendor coming to college on day 1, with all essential utilities including mattresses, (ranging from Rs. 700 to 4000+), buckets, mugs, doormats, hangers, cushions, soaps, dustbins, brooms, umbrellas, mirrors, laundry bags, laundry soap and a whole lot more!
For other daily needs, Jaggu Bhaiyya is your go-to man! (He runs a general store on campus)
Before you start off, we recommend you get all the documents you could possibly need. Get a Xerox/ e-copy of the same. Get a couple of passport photos. Get whatever vaccinations you ought to get done. Visit a doctor to check your general health, get your teeth, ears checked! Get your bank work sorted out, get a debit/credit card, a net banking account which is pretty important as most of your transactions would be done through net banking. A driver’s license if you don’t absolutely hate driving/riding.
And there you have it, all you need to survive on campus excepting sleep, of course, which you will pretty much never get enough of!! 😛 But, life at GIM makes up for all that. So, good luck & we can’t wait to see you on campus 😉